Factsheet 38 - Energy Performance Certificates


Energy Performance Certificates and the Private Rented Sector

European Union Energy Performance in Buildings Directive 2002/91/EU (as amended SI 2010/31/EU) and The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections)(England and Wales) Regulations SI 2007/991 (as amended SI 2010/1456 & SI 2011/2452)


All buildings, whether residential, commercial or industrial are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) that is no more than 10 years old, for every occasion when they are bought, sold or rented.  The requirement for such certificates came into force on 1st October 2008 for all premises when they are let after this date.  The regulations were initially amended in April 2012 and most recently amended in January 2013.


The directive applies to any building that is rented out so it will be illegal to advertise a property to rent unless it has an EPC.  A certificate detailing its energy performance compared with reference values must be made available for each self-contained accommodation unit. The certificate must be accompanied by recommendations of cost-effective measures to improve its performance, and is intended to ensure that the consideration of energy efficiency can play a proper part in the decision to rent or purchase the property.  Holiday lets which are rented out for a combined total of four months in any 12 month period will also require an EPC, mobile homes and caravans are exempt.  

The Energy Performance Certificate:

The EPC is broadly similar to the certificates found on many domestic appliances with an energy rating on a scale from A to G (A signifying the highest efficiency rating). The EPC includes information about the home’s energy use and carbon dioxide emissions.   Each EPC will have a unique serial number and be produced by energy assessors and home inspectors authorised and accredited by the Government.

To read more, a subscription is needed: Click here to subscribe