6. When can the accelerated possession procedure be used?
The accelerated possession procedure comes with several limitations, such as:
- it may only be used for ASTs
- the tenancy must have come to an end or be a statutory periodic
- it does not allow for the recovery of rent arrears
- the tenancy must have been made on or after 15th January 1989
- the tenancy agreement and all notices must have been given and have been in writing
- the APP forms must be sworn in person by the landlord or his solicitor, not the managing agent
- the APP action can only be commenced after the expiry of a valid section 21 possession notice
See the Letting Centre’s Rent Arrears and Possession Pack for more information on how and when to use the accelerated possession procedure.